EVE Online Famous Scams and Heists

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EVE Online Famous Scams and Heists

Post  Harkon on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 pm

(copy-pasta of a post I made in the WolfPack clan thread)

Something really interesting I came across today related to EVE Online, apparently now integration in corporations and the possible actions you can do seem really awesome for immersion and the most surprising and even artistic heists / "scams", if you want to be a so-called spy in a big corporation, and eventually build enough trust inside so that when their guard is at the lowest, you can snatch whatever valuable "goodies" you've been wanting to get your hands on.

This all likely seems very vague, but I'll leave a couple of articles here about individuals that pulled off famous "scams" inside the game in the past. This is really interesting, and one of the best examples where social engineering is incredibly effective inside an online game. It's also really good to see that the community really values and even envies these "master-spies", whose plans can last for years in exchange for a chance at a big enough prize, and only frowns upon mediocre scammers that barely try.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/09...ssive-investm/

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

I suggest you read these, as they're quite entertaining and even inspiring to play EVE possibly... Though I don't have the time for that, I still really like this sort of possibility in a game, it creates a completely new level of immersion.

Any other complete nuttie for this sort of political / social aspect in an online game? Very Happy
Harkon
Muted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EVE Online Famous Scams and Heists

Post  Angantyr on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Yes, there's many interesting ( especially spy or scam ) stories from EVE, I have a few EVE crazy friends and I've heard enough from them to realize that EVE is the only MMO I would ever consider playing.
Angantyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harkon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 am

Heh, I never imagined EVE had this potential. My uneducated perspective was that of a boring point and click, develop a spaceship MMO, where you could be either a sort of pirate or join with big fleets and have wars and such.

There was a game I played years ago, up until some point of last year, Face of Mankind, which was completely centered about player interaction, be it in logistics, market presence, politics, completely open PVP even against members of the same "Faction" (it was a MMO-FPS of sorts). Literally, the entire game depended on the players, apart from the structure of the pre-made maps. There was a police faction, an army faction, a criminal organization faction with multiple cells, a mercenary faction, big corporations as factions. And the leaders of the faction were players, and people got promoted not by meeting an XP criteria, but by manual promotions by their superior, and every faction had a different rank structure.

Back in 2005 it was a magical game, but it changed a lot, and is still active if you wanna give it a try, but basically almost nobody plays it now, and pretty much all the old-school players got tired of following the game for so many years for it not to get the changes it needed to survive.
Harkon
Muted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Titantoe on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Harkon wrote:Heh, I never imagined EVE had this potential. My uneducated perspective was that of a boring point and click, develop a spaceship MMO, where you could be either a sort of pirate or join with big fleets and have wars and such.

There was a game I played years ago, up until some point of last year, Face of Mankind, which was completely centered about player interaction, be it in logistics, market presence, politics, completely open PVP even against members of the same "Faction" (it was a MMO-FPS of sorts). Literally, the entire game depended on the players, apart from the structure of the pre-made maps. There was a police faction, an army faction, a criminal organization faction with multiple cells, a mercenary faction, big corporations as factions. And the leaders of the faction were players, and people got promoted not by meeting an XP criteria, but by manual promotions by their superior, and every faction had a different rank structure.

Back in 2005 it was a magical game, but it changed a lot, and is still active if you wanna give it a try, but basically almost nobody plays it now, and pretty much all the old-school players got tired of following the game for so many years for it not to get the changes it needed to survive.

Ofcourse EvE is awesome! For it is Icelandic!
Titantoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harkon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Titantoe wrote:
Harkon wrote:Heh, I never imagined EVE had this potential. My uneducated perspective was that of a boring point and click, develop a spaceship MMO, where you could be either a sort of pirate or join with big fleets and have wars and such.

Ofcourse EvE is awesome! For it is Icelandic!

It is really? Surprised
Harkon
Muted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Spesh on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 pm

I tried playing EVE...
Flew around in a spaceship for a while, and got shot at, flew to another star system by mistake and didnt know how to get back.. was fun..
Gave up shortly after that though. Sleep
Spesh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top