September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Similar topics

Who is responsible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is responsible?

Post  NaglFaar on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:53 am

I just registered here and was baffled over the names you have for the different places here on the forum.
    You really need to fix it, because it's a taunt and mockery to our old forefathers.

First of:

Utgård...
    Do you guys eve know what Utgård is? Utgård is a borg in Jotunheim filled with giants and trickery.
    But no, we have a bloody TAVERN in there. In Jotunheim!

And in the Midgård section:

We have Bifröst. FFS!?!?! Vad i helvete är det som händer?
    And the description is: Warriors seeking a place on the dragonship, post your applications here.
    What would Bifröst have to do with our ship?

Bifröst is the bridge which leads to Asgard. Not Valhalla where the Einherjar are. And ship? Dear lord....

Last but not least:
    Allting... The place where everybody gathers and discuss the most important things in the world. Where all free men and women can come and make themselves heard. Here they discuss crimes committed, trade with other villages etc.

IT'S NOT SOMEWHERE YOU FIGHT!!! GAAAAAAH!

What has happened to you guys?
    I'm serious. The very thing we stand for has no meaning for guys, or what? Did the person responsible for this have no idea of what the places are and mean or did he just not give a fuck? What has happened?

Is noone longer interested in this? Rolling Eyes

And I have not abandoned you guys. I work from 13:00 till 21:00 so I'm not home between 11:00-22:30. And in between there i need to fit everything else that I have in life. Just ask and I'll give you the answers for names, places, gods, items, dwarfs, elves, animals and shitloads more. Don't just make assumptions and write random names for places.

And I'm not just accusing the creator. All of you who saw it but didn't report it should be equally ashamed.

NaglFaar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is responsible?

Post  Hengist on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 am

I'm sure the person who created this didn't choose wrong names for the subforums on purpose, let alone to betray the idea of our clan.
    I have to admit that although I noticed the names are not like they were before, I didn't bother to research what would be more fitting.

I guess we owe Jur thanks for setting up this free forum and I'm sure he will receive your advice concerning better names. Thanks for your offer.

And it's a shame NaglFaar, that you cannot join us more often. However, I understand that you don't have much time and never doubted that you are still with us. Smile
    Hengist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jur on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Since I made the forum I also made this and to be honest I don't know what that names stands for. When I was testing I used my own names since I don't know shit about Scandinavian. languge. Well I know that helvere or somthing similar is a cruse worde Very Happy . Then Angantyr said that would be nice if we used same names as Kretti used on the forum so I used that.
    Jur
    Admin

View user profile http://einherjarshieldings.forumr.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Harkon on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Rofl, I have no clue of what any scandinavian word even means, I'm just a fan of scandinavian history before the dark ages, and of course the golden age of the vikings, not even necessarily their mythical beliefs. I think we were labeled as the "Shieldings" for a reason in the beggining, and not Einherjar like the rest, aye? I don't know how most of us are supposed to know what these words mean. Wink
    Harkon
    Muted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Corey on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Unfortunately I don't really know what they mean and never have, for all two years I've been here. Razz

Hence; I'm not responsible.

Last edited by Corey on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Corey
    Galatasaray Fan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krax on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I PROPOSE THAT WE CUT OF HIS ANIMAL TITS !
    Krax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaosAD on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm

amateurs! ... helvete!
    ChaosAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jur on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Oh and I also know that those friendly and tehnologicly advanced alliens who helped us in star gate come from Asgard (some fool once said that this is also home of nordic gods)Very Happy

Nagl If you want write where somthing should be so that it would make sense and I can changed it.
    Jur
    Admin

View user profile http://einherjarshieldings.forumr.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Angantyr on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Good to see you here, Nagl, you old pirate pirat

As to your question these subforum names were chosen by Kretti and I've written or rewritten some of their descriptions.

Besides Allting, which I am a bit undecided about and have been pondering a new name for I actually find them pretty good, and have not been neglectful in my duties of upholding our mythological correctness Wink

Dividing the three different parts in Asgård, Midgård, Udgård ( using Danish spelling here ) I find really nice and is something I would have done myself.

The whole idea is, as I see it, that we have Asgard ( the 'heavens' ) for the Einherjar ascended and on-topic stuff, Midgård ( the World of Man ) as a common ground for business with men, and Udgård ( outer reaches between the world of man, gods and magical creatures, the domain of jætter and their kin ) for the off-topic stuff. That there's a tavern there, although perhaps not the first meeting place I'd chosen in Udgård, doesn't get my temper up as a tavern is where you do 'off-topic' stuff in the company of relative strangers and sure Udgård had taverns, jætter drinks too and creatures of Asgård go there for many reasons in the sagas, drinking for example in the case of Thor's great drinking contest there. I have been thinking about a better name here, though, just haven't come up with one yet. Perhaps call it 'Hall of Udgårdsloke/Utgardsloki' instead of 'Tavern' ?

And in regards to Bifrost I also think it is a great name for that subforum, this is as you say the rainbow the warriors have to cross from Midgård to Asgård to get to Valhal and become Einherjar, the very entry, therefore an obvious name for our application and recruit area. That I put in our dragonship in the description is highly intentional, this is the ship we Einherjar sail in Asgard when raiding and which the fortunate among the applicants might one day ride in. Of course the Einherjar sail in Valhal, it's not for no reason that great Vikings are buried in their ships.

I don't know about Allting, the name isn't perfect and I have been thinking about a better name but besides the domestic things you mention an Allting is also the place where things like diplomacy, foreign affairs and warfare are discussed, so it's not that bad a name for the subforum where other clans must challenge us and I'm sure this is what Kretti thought when he made it. But please, people, if anyone has a good suggestion for this subforum don't hold back.

Angantyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kretti on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Angantyr sums it up pretty well, I think, so I'm not going to defend the names much more. I didn't think much on them afterwards since I didn't believe it'd be your forum to come.

Also, cool to see how Angantyr says "were" and Nagl says "is" when talking about this stuff. Asatro, mayhaps? Smile
    Kretti

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NaglFaar on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 am

Ok, I now have some deeper knowledge of what you meant when making the Titles and Subforums.
    Still not impressed though. But now I can bounce the ball on equal terms.

To start with Asgård.
    This is the realm of the gods. This would be suiting for clanmembers only and I see that it is... now. That wasn't there when I posted my topic Very Happy

Then to Midgård.
    This is the realm of man. Earth if you will. Although it's just the middle of Yggdrasil the world tree. Asgard and Midgard share one root. Jotunheim and Utgård share the second and Nifelheim has one root all to itself. They all also have wells under them but I'm not going in to that. That's overcourse.

This should be the public section. Anyone can enter Midgård and it seems to be that way as well.
    But on to the Subforums in Midgård:

Bifröst
    "Warriors seeking a place on the dragonship, post your applications here."

Dragonship? Come on now. The only ships known in the mythology, by name, are Skidbladner (Frejs ship) that could be folded and put in his pocket, and Nagelfar. The ship that Hel will use, alongside with Loki who steers the ship, to bring her forces over to the plains of Vigrid at the time of Ragnarök. The description should be changed to something more suiting.

Allting
    "Wish to test your mettle? Propose matches here."

Nononononono! NO! Never, as far as I know, have there ever been any fighting in recorded history in any Allting that has been held. Allting is a counsel held by free men and women. Suggestions of any sort should be here. About the clan, the forum, members, tournaments etc. One does not simply walk in to an Allting and start a fight. Warfare was mostly discussed between Hövdingar and Hövitsmän (Hövistmän are captains on longships). That would not be an Allting since the soldiers were not allowed in there unless specifically asked by their Hövding or Hövitsman.

Maybe change it to Idasletten? This is where the Einherjar train all day long for Ragnarök. Maybe a bit more suiting?

Utgård

This is just not necessary. It can all be kept in Midgård. Gods came down to Midgård often to mingle, trick or help people. Utgård is so weird. Only one big story hail from Utgård and it's Tors travel to Utgårdaloke.

The Tavern should be moved to Midgård in my oppinion.

I hope you guys don't misunderstand me when I come in here and point fingers. I thought that since we're a Norse based clan, most would know what the names mean. But I see now that it's of little, to none, interest to most.

And I'm very grateful to the people who did all of this and that you took the time to set this up. I'm just trying to polish the turd Very Happy

NaglFaar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Krax on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:01 am

how about change Allting to Holmgang

I havto agree with Naglclose that allting sounds wierd...
    Krax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angantyr on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 am

Perhaps you weren't logged in as a member when you first posted since you couldn't see the Asgård forum, Nagl ?

I chose dragonship not because Scandinavians ever used that word ( in survived writing ) but because it was used by the enemy, the English monks in their annals, and I've always found it an interesting and very fitting name instead of just 'longship', and why not use the enemy's frightened tales as inspiration ? Let us also not forget how the prow of longships were carved and even named after 'orme', or wyrms, the mythological dragon-like creatures.

And in regards to the Allting, as I wrote I'd rather have something different too though none of us knows for sure where and when warfare was discussed, and it probably differed from place to place and from ruler to ruler ( or ruling elite ), but I think it is safe to say that we can be pretty sure the discussion of a thing like a major war would be brought up on 'Tinge'. But anyway, let's find another, more fitting name. Perhaps Idassletten, though it doesn't make that much sense to me if other clans offer us battle on the battlefield itself, same with Holmgang, but both are better.

And yes I agree that it's a good idea to just close Udgård and move its subforums to Midgård, the Einherjar don't have much business in Udgård. But on the other hand the organized part of me think it's nice to have some distinction between the public off-topic forum and the public on-topic forum as having the forum split in three enables us to, perhaps if we could find some way to keep it under a new name ( though the same organized part of me knows that Udgård fits the Asgård - Midgård forums better, even if it only has an ever so slightly mythological relation to us Einherjar ).

Angantyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NaglFaar on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:02 am

Angantyr wrote:Perhaps you weren't logged in as a member when you first posted since you couldn't see the Asgård forum, Nagl ?

Could be.

Angantyr wrote:
    I chose dragonship not because Scandinavians ever used that word ( in survived writing ) but because it was used by the enemy, the English monks in their annals, and I've always found it an interesting and very fitting name instead of just 'longship', and why not use the enemy's frightened tales as inspiration ? Let us also not forget how the prow of longships were carved and even named after 'orme', or wyrms, the mythological dragon-like creatures.

You misunderstand me, my friend. I wonder what the connection between Bifröst and the ship is? I am more then familiar with our Dragonships. Wouldn't something about our hall and the seats be more suiting?

Angantyr wrote:
    And in regards to the Allting, as I wrote I'd rather have something different too though none of us knows for sure where and when warfare was discussed, and it probably differed from place to place and from ruler to ruler ( or ruling elite ), but I think it is safe to say that we can be pretty sure the discussion of a thing like a major war would be brought up on 'Tinge'. But anyway, let's find another, more fitting name. Perhaps Idassletten, though it doesn't make that much sense to me if other clans offer us battle on the battlefield itself, same with Holmgang, but both are better.

Well, I see Allting as something peaceful and not something you plan wars in. I'm going to see if I can find something more fitting to the task.

Angantyr wrote:
    And yes I agree that it's a good idea to just close Udgård and move its subforums to Midgård, the Einherjar don't have much business in Udgård. But on the other hand the organized part of me think it's nice to have some distinction between the public off-topic forum and the public on-topic forum as having the forum split in three enables us to, perhaps if we could find some way to keep it under a new name ( though the same organized part of me knows that Udgård fits the Asgård - Midgård forums better, even if it only has an ever so slightly mythological relation to us Einherjar ).

The tavern could still be Off-topic, but you remove Utgård and move the tavern to Midgård. All the other subforums are on topic so it will still be very organized.

NaglFaar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Angantyr on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:49 pm

All right, as you can see I've decided to keep the Asgård, Midgård, Udgård split for the sake of dividing the forum into three; Asgård, home of the Einherjar, that holds closed stuff for the clan alone, Midgård, realm of man, for public access but only on-topic stuff and Udgård for everything public and off-topic, the dark outer realm where all kinds of strange forum creatures can be encountered and everything can happen. I like having things organized and personally I think this works really well withouth being too strict on Udgårds meaning; this is just a forum anyway not an essay on Nordic mythology and it's not like any of our old forums have ever made much mythological sense.

I've also changed Allting to Holmgang, Idassletten didn't work as this is a peaceful region, a sort of idyllic, golden place in the old beliefs, where in two sagas the gods play Hnefatafl with each other. And holmgang fits well enough clan matches being a structured system in which traditional fights take place, and though often one vs one holmgangs also included several fighters at one time, for example Angantyr and his twelve brothers who fought and died on Bornholm.

And concerning dragonship and Bifrost I think I'm keeping it for now, I like that a ship is mentioned somewhere and the connection you ask for between Bifrost and ship is that people enter Bifrost from the Midgard subforum, and through Bifrost prospects put up their applications and earn themselves a place on the dragonship in Valhalla, so the ship has nothing to do with Bifrost but Bifrost has to be traversed before they can enter Valhalla and get to the ship. But yes, I guess most people think more about warriors sitting in great halls than sailing boats in Valhalla so this might be prone to change though as I said heathen norsemen buried their dead in ships for a reason.

I also put in Bravellir for server stuff, the legendary battlefield where great hosts of Danes and Swedes and Goths fought what is most likely the greatest battle in the Viking Age. I think this name fits well enough for a battle server.
    Angantyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarosu on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:32 am

flueknepperi :i

Sarosu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content